Sunday, April 28, 2013

What Did I Learn About Myself?

     I learned a significant amount about myself during this trip.  I tend to be a higher stress and anxiety person who likes to be organized, ready, and prepared for all situations.  However, part of this is my personality and part of it is the way I was raised and socialized.  In the United States, we are taught that to be successful, we need to be on time, prepared, and be ready to act above and beyond expectations.  This mentality is a bit different in the state of Baja California Sur (BCS), Mexico.
     In BCS, the teachers tend to be more relaxed with time.  Often there are no clocks in the student's classrooms and students and teachers leisurely make their way from room to room and area to area. In addition to this, the classroom environment tends to be louder and less managed in these schools over schools in the United States.  I enjoyed my time observing teachers, students, and classrooms, but it was definitely an adjustment with not knowing the full schedule or where I would be most of the time.  
     I definitely think that this experience, both inside and outside the classroom, contributed greatly to my knowledge of the lives of culturally diverse students.  Some of the students I saw had uniforms, like the lower income school, but even then, not all of the students could afford the uniforms.  One of the schools, the higher income one, had a cafeteria and cafeteria chefs and nutritionists to make their food.  The others schools merely had a snack counter where students had to pay for snacks that were not always the healthiest choices and that was their lunch.  Additionally, some students had all the school supplies they needed, some had a few, and most had a half-size notebook and pencil.  Most of the students had their workbook because they were donated to the school.  Otherwise, they probably wouldn't have those either.  The teachers at these schools carry their supplies, such as colored pencils and markers, with them for the students because they do not have their own.  Seeing and experiencing all of this helped me realize everything you can accomplish with minimal supplies and a teacher who is willing to fight for those minimal supplies, like Ericka Flores from the rural school.
     This field experience contributed to my growth as a future educator by opening my eyes to the wide variety of places students come from in addition to the wide variety in culture, background knowledge, and much more.  It is one thing to know that students come from all places and experiences and it is another thing to see it.  It made the reality of the idea real and directly applicable to my career.  
     I am very grateful for this opportunity and experience and will use the knowledge I have gained to be the best teacher I can be.  Thank you.  

Lower Income City School:
  • I do not think that I would enjoy working here because the environment was really loud and the teachers that we observed seemed really frustrated and burnt out a lot of the time while trying to hide it
  • The principal was really nice and the facilities were not bad but I think I would generally choose a different environment over this one.  
Higher Income City School:
  • If I would work here, I think I would enjoy the weather and school campus but I think I would get frustrated with lack of supplies and organization of time and people
  • I tend to be more serious and organized.  I think it would be a change and a challenge. 
  • I think it would be relaxing at first and then I would get frustrated
  • I really like all the breaks, they are relaxing
  • It seems easier for a kid to go missing from the classroom
Rural School:
  • I really liked this school.  It was my favorite school out of the three because there was more of a community there and you could tell the teacher cared more about their school and their students than the teachers in the city schools did.
  • It makes me wonder if rural schools have similar communities here in the USA.  This would be a possibility to explore in future practicums here in the USA
  • Possibly student teach here?
    • Escuela Primaria Rural Netza Huacco Yotl 
    • El Carrizal
    • Baja California Sur
    • Principal: Alfonso Servin Garcia
    • Teacher: Ericka Flores Martinez
    • Time: 8am-2pm
    • Sessions: 50 Minutes Each
    • Groups: 6thB, 5thA, 5thB, 4thB, and 2ndA
  • Really dedicated and excited teacher (Ericka Flores)
    • Best teacher of the three schools I visited
  • Small Community
  • Teachers going on strike next week because they (the B.C.S. Government) are trying to pass a law in the constitution where the B.C.S.Government does not have to provide for the schools - the teachers and parents do

No comments:

Post a Comment