Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mexico Trip - Day Five

March 5, 2013
     Today was the first day of our cultural diversity practicum.  We got up and went to a restaurant down the street for breakfast.  I had pancakes and the fanciest chocolate milk I have ever had.
     Then we hopped in the van and drove to the school.  This school was the lower income city school (see lower income city school post for more details).  When we arrived, a girl was reading Mexico's history on today's date to everyone at an assembly.  Then some students came out and performed a dance.  The principal said it was nice to the students to have this assembly to welcome us because it changed up their routine a bit.
     After the dance, they introduced us in the assembly and walked us around the school's campus afterwards.  We got to walk around and peek into different classrooms.
     The observations started in two difference first grade classroom with lunch afterwards.  (We were provided with a bag lunch).  After lunch and break time, we observed in two difference fifth grade classrooms.  I am learning a significant amount throughout the day (see lower income city school post for the notes).  After that set of observations, the students had another break before more classes.  We left the school during that break because the teachers who could speak English/taught the English Pilot Programs were done for the day.
     It was nice to get done early that day because I was observing and learning so much at once that it made me tired.  When we got back to the hotel I was able to take a nap and regroup my energy for the rest of the day.
     After my nap, we got ready to go to the beach (Balandra Beach) to snorkel.  I am afraid of snorkeling but I made myself put on the gear (harder than it looks - and you have to put on the flippers while sitting in the water and then walk backwards into the deeper water.  Otherwise you fall over) and go snorkeling.  It turned out to be really fun and beautiful because it was just before sunset when we went.  It was hard to get used to the snorkel breathing tube because I was used to holding my breath when my head was completely under water so I was a little panicky until I got used to the motions and feeling of everything.  I saw a lot of leaves and sand movement in the water and little of everything else but that was 100% okay with me because I really do not have a desire to know what wildlife I am swimming with.  I am really glad that I went and I had a lot of fun.
     The walk to and from the beach was really fun and beautiful.  We had to walk along a curvy shore with rocks, occasionally walking in the water to avoid the rocks.  The area was gorgeous and walking back during the sunset and rising tides was one of my favorite experiences.  I was completely happy in that moment.
     When we got back to the van, we drove back to the hotel to change and get ready for dinner.  Kayleen was really craving a burger so we drove to a mall-like area and went to Kiki's Burgers.  I  did not know that I was craving food from home until I took the first bite of the hotdog I ordered.  That was officially the best hotdog I have ever tasted.  I also had some french fries (which I don't normally eat or like) but they were delicious until I got full and they got cold.
     After Kiki's Burgers we headed back to the hotel and I took a shower and plopped into bed after a wonderful day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment