Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mexico Trip - Day Three

March 9, 2013
     I was woken up today by my roommate, Imigna, telling me she was going to get ready for the day in her friend's room so I could use the bathroom.  I didn't want to get out of bed because I had had the most comfortable sleep I've had in a long time.  The bed was so comfortable and the shower I took last night was amazing! (The best water pressure I have ever felt).
     After I coaxed myself out of bed, I got ready for the day (slathered myself in sunscreen) and headed out to the beach.  Angela and I then laid in hammocks for a while.  
     Then we all gathered together and went for breakfast at Cafe Ole.  I had pancakes and hot chocolate and it was muy delicioso! (very delicious).  The pancakes were so large though that I could only finish half of them, taking the other half to go. 
     After breakfast, we drove back to the hotel, packed up our stuff (I almost forgot my sweatshirt), and headed out for the museum (museo).  The museum was a bit interesting but was centered around a lot of what looked like Catholicism so I lost a bit of interest.  I really like museums but Catholicism is not a big topic of interest for me.  
     After the museum, we drove to the mission (mision) in San Javier.  There was a nice church there but the really cool part was the 500 year old Olive Tree they are known for.  The tree was beautiful and Jose Alfredo said we could climb it! I CLIMBED UP AND SAT IN A 500 YEAR OLD OLIVE TREE!! It was amazing for two reasons: 1. for the experience, and 2. my name means Olive Branch.  
     After the Olive Tree, we hopped back into the car and drove many hours back to La Paz.  I slept a long time in the car (hurt my shoulder a bit) and we occasionally stopped for picture taking and snacks.  
     We reached La Paz around 6pm and checked back into the Seven Crown - Malecon Hotel.  (Malecon means close to the same thing as Boardwalk in the USA does).  Around 7pm, we hopped in the the car and drove to Tony's (Anthony Dutton - Professor at Valley City State University) old host family's house for dinner.  I had 3 tacos (with beef!) and tried flan (it was an okay taste but a really strange texture).  The host family (Diana, Ramon, and Guina) were so nice!  They reminded me a lot of  my Grandmoo and Pop-Pop.  I asked them about where I could get the Mexican equivalent of Aloe Vera and they showed me an actual Aloe Vera plant they had on their patio.  Diana cut me off some pieces and showed me the inside goo to rub on my sunburn.  I couldn't believe it!  It looked just like the gel.  
     After we said our goodbyes we headed back to the hotel and walked around the Malecon.  We are ice cream (I got some delicious orange flavor).  Jessica got Rose Petal flavored ice cream and I kid you not, it tasted just like a rose smells.  It was strange and boggled my mind.  I also tried some of Tony's.  He got corn flavor and it was weird.  
     After the ice cream, some of the girls wanted to walk up and down the Malecon.  I was originally going to go with them but by arm started to hurt so I went back to the hotel, took a rinse and soap off in the shower, and put the aloe on my sunburn. 
     Overall, it has been a large travelling day but a good day with lots of highlights.  

No comments:

Post a Comment