Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mexico Trip - Day Four

March 10, 2013
Highlights of today:
  • Seeing Dolphins
  • Seeing Sea Lions
  • Almost getting seasick to the point of barfing but not barfing
  • Swimming to shore after jumping off the boat
  • Eating out
  • Bought some souvenirs
  • Tried and had 3 shots of Tequila and with Lime after (then took a nap)
     Today we woke up, ate a breakfast to go and hopped on a really nice boat to head out to the island, Espiritu Santo (Gallena - Chicken/Rooster).  We saw dolphins swimming by the boat on the way to the island.  They were so pretty and graceful when they were swimming and jumping in and out of the water.  It was amazing to watch!
     As we continued gliding over the Sea of Cortez, Angela, Kayleen, Dina, and I got seasick from the rocking of the boat over the open ocean.  Angela, Kayleen, and I think Dina, ended up throwing up over the side of the boat.  I successfully did not! :)
     When we reached the island, they dropped the anchor and rested for a bit.  Then, after a while, someone suggested that we jump off the boat and swim to shore.  I thought it was a good idea because the shore didn't look that far away...I was super wrong!  I jumped in and realized really fast that the shore was way farther than it looked.  I started swimming and swallowed a significant amount of salt water as the waves came by.  When Josie jumped in, she was struggling so the small boat came by and she climbed in.  I hung on the side of the boat for a minute and then decided to keep swimming.  I swam and swam, swallowing salt water, and getting a bit scared because I was getting really tired.  After a while I started swimming like dogs do to rest while still going towards shore.  Eventually, my foot hit bottom, scraping against some coral which hurt but I was just happy to be able to touch.  I started half-walking and half-gliding to shore for a while until I was able to stand up and walk to shore.  I was exhausted but so proud of myself for making it.  It was definitely a huge accomplishment for me.  After the small boat made it back to shore, I was able to get my foot bandaged up from the coral scrapes and went on to collect shells and have a wonderful day. 
     I walked along the beach collecting shells for gifts for my friends and family.  I found some shells that made me think of Justin (I miss him, there are so many experiences that I wish he was here for).  
     After the beach, we went back to the boat for lunch and relaxed.  I ended up trying some fancy Tequila for the first time (a few shots with lime) and quite enjoyed it (to my surprise).  It makes your mouth numb after you drink one or two.  After that, I went to the front of the boat and suntanned while taking a nap.  
    Then, on the way back to La Paz, we saw some Sea Lions swimming and resting on a rock.  It was so cool!  I never thought I would see those!  They are huge!
    When we got back, I took a glorious shower and went to dinner with Angela, Tony, Kayleen, and Jessica at the Super Burro.  
     On the walk back to the hotel, we (Angela, Kayleen, Jessica, and I) found a small art store to buy some souvenirs from.  I bought a small bowl and a small cup/glass.  Then we went back to the hotel and relaxed.
      Now sleep, practicum starts in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment