Friday, October 4, 2013

80 Hour Practicum - Day Five

The morning routine and the spelling test went well today but what went particularly well was when I read the morning book.  It was a cold read because I had forgotten to take the book home to practice but I was able to read with few errors or awkward pauses.  I was really proud of myself because I was having fun reading, the students were engaged, and I had a wider variety of expressions in my reading.  I think this is due to being more comfortable in front of the students as well as my cooperating teacher telling me to read like myself instead of trying imitate her.  I found that very helpful and it took off a lot of the pressure I was feeling.

I was going to lead part of the reading lesson today but my practicum teacher had a busy week and was unable to send me the material to prepare.  So I had the opportunity to watch her lead the lesson with the idea in mind that I would be helping teach it, causing me to pay attention to the details.  I will be helping lead a song, highlight short i words, and brainstorm short i words for their writing booklets.  I am nervous to lead the song because I am not a particularly good singer but I think the rest will go well.

My cooperating teacher said that I did a really good job today and that she could tell I was reading the book with more expression in my voice.  This made me feel really good because I have been working on reading with more expression. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment