Friday, October 11, 2013

80 Hour Practicum - Day Six

This morning I realized that I am leading most of the morning activities.  I start out the morning with the morning routine, followed by the morning paragraph and reading a picture book.  Then my practicum teacher dismisses to read to self and meets with groups while I correct papers and do other tasks such as keeping students on task, etc.  Then I lead the mini reading lesson (the new activity for today) followed by them taking a recess break, snack break, etc.  Depending on time, they may do another round of Daily five.  After that, I lead the spelling test and correct them.  Finally, my cooperating teacher finishes the morning and dismisses them to recess and lunch.

Being trusted with that much of the morning has really helped boost my confidence with teaching.  My cooperating teacher and I talked about how the mini reading lesson went and agreed that the procedures and lesson went well but classroom management was a bit of a struggle today because the students are "off" because of the weather changes and the fact that it is a Friday.  Additionally, we have noticed over time that I become less stiff.  I start out each new responsibility and lesson a bit stiff but the more I do that activity/lesson section, the less stiff and more comfortable I become.

Overall, today has been a great practicum day.

No comments:

Post a Comment