Friday, September 27, 2013

80 Hour Practicum - Day Four

I led the usual activities today: the spelling test, morning routine, and reading a book.  However, I think today went better than pervious days in that my cooperating teacher told me that I seemed less stiff than I used to.  That made me feel good because I am starting to feel more comfortable in the classroom and interacting with the students.  I tried to read the book with more expression and my cooperating teacher agreed that I had more expression.  She also told me to be myself and that I did not have to read books the same way she does.

The spelling test was still a little stiff but I am getting the hang of it.  Students often are coming and going from the classroom around this time so classroom management is a little more difficult.

I was definitely more relaxed during the morning routine because I forced myself to not use my notes.  I think this helped me ad-lib more and actually make the connections with the students instead of following my list exactly.

I talked with my cooperating teacher and we agreed that I would help with the reading lesson next week to get comfortable with the material.  Then, the week after that, I will teach a full reading lesson myself.  I am excited that my cooperating teacher is letting me be so active in the classroom.  It is helping me leaps and bounds every week.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment