Sunday, September 15, 2013

80 Hour Practicum - Day Two

Today was my second day in my first grade classroom with my cooperating teacher.  She let me lead a spelling test today which was a nice opportunity to get in front of the classroom.

I asked the students to get out their privacy folders and set them up while my cooperating teacher and I passed out the spelling test papers.  Then I went in front of the class and asked them to point to their names on the top of their paper and make sure they had their name written down.  From there I would say the question number, the word, the word in a sentence, and the word again.  Then, I would pause till most of the students stopped writing and then went onto the spelling word.

Later in the day, my cooperating teacher gave me some feedback.  She said that she did not give me enough directions because she also wanted the students to say the word back to me and point to the word in order to make sure they were writing on the right line.

I also talked to my cooperating teacher about how I could be in front of the classroom even more.  She had me pick a Bernstein Bear book to practice reading so I could read it to the class next Friday morning.  She also had me watch the morning routine so that I could lead the morning routine in the following weeks.

Overall, I had a really good day and got to know the students better.  I was glad to be able to get in front of the classroom and be able to start practicing teaching the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment