Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Powerful Quotes from Chapter 13

"...the whole time I was imagining a plane coming at the building, just below us.  I didn't want to, but I couldn't stop.  I imagined the last second, when I would see the pilot's face, who would be a terrorist.  I imagined us looking each other in the eyes when the nose of the plane was one millimeter from the building.
I hate you, my eyes would tell him.
I hate you, his eyes would tell me" (page 244).

"I thought about all of the things that everyone ever says to each other, and how everyone is going to die, whether it's in a millisecond, or days, or moths, or 76.5 years, if you were just born.  Everything that's born has to die, which means our lives are like skyscrapers.  The smoke rises at different speeds, but they're all on fire, and we're all trapped" (page 245).

"'In fact, New York's most famous building is made with materials from just about everywhere but New York, in much the same way that the city itself was made great by immigrants'" (page 248).

The title of the book:
"'...so I invented a device that would detect when a bird is incredibly close to a building, and that would trigger an extremely loud birdcall from another skyscraper, and they'd be drawn to that.  They'd bounce from one to another'" (page 250).

No comments:

Post a Comment