Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Chapter 12

     Oskar's grandmother is the narrator of this chapter.  She is telling us as the readers and Oskar in the book about two different stories.  However, she tells these stories together, flipping back and forth with little warning.  It is an interesting way of story telling that adds a new dynamic to both stories because of the parallels between the two.  The two stories she tells are (1) the day her son, Thomas (Oskar's dad died) and (2) of her experience in the bombing of Dresden. 
     I really enjoy her style of talking and her way of "writing" in the chapters.  Her chapters are always full of emotion and overall life experience that is touching and enables you to put yourself in her shoes. 
     This story also tells of the different points where each member of the family knew when Thomas was not going to come home and was dead.  Each of their moments are below:

Oskar's Mom:
"She had been married to your father for twelve years.  I had known her for fifteen years.  It was the first time she told me she loved me.  That was when I knew that she knew" (page 226). 

Oskar's Grandmother:
"I looked at my arm.  It was bleeding through my shirt.  Had I fallen and not noticed?  Had I been scratching it?  That was when I knew that I knew" (page 226). 

Oskar:
"You asked her if your father was in the building for a meeting.  She told you no. You tried to find her eyes, and that was when I knew that you knew (page 229).

The last thing I would like to say about this chapter is that the end of the chapter leaves us with a twist and a colliding of stories...

"When your grandfather left me forty years ago, I erased all of his writing.  I washed the words from the mirrors and the floors.  I painted over the walls.  I cleaned the shower curtains.  I even refinished the floors.  It took me as long as I had known him to get rid of all of his words.  Like turning an hourglass over.
"I thought he had to look for what he was looking for, and realize it no longer existed.  I thought he would write.  Or send money.  Or ask for pictures of the baby, if not me. 
For forty years not a word.
Only empty envelopes.
And then, on the day of my son's funeral, two words.
I'm sorry.
He had come back" (page 233). 

Powerful...I wonder, if I was in her place, if I could forgive him.  I'm not sure.  Even if I couldn't I think I can understand why he left.  I think he left because he never got the official closure of Anna dying the bombing of Dresden because there was never an official list of those who had died because there were too many bodies and two many who were destroyed beyond recognition.  Very sad...

I wonder why he came back...did he get his closure?

Thank you,

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment