Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chapter 16

     This chapter is narrated by Oskar's grandmother, in a very poetic format with a  content tone - no longer the resigned sadness, more of a resigned contentedness.  It is a beautiful poem, combining a dream and reality, understanding of what will stay and what will go, and what is really important in life.
      Her poem is to and for Oskar, describing a dream she had where time was going backwards as well as her experience and a new found honesty between her and Oskar's grandfather.  Her poem comes to a conclusion and important piece of advice about telling someone you love that you love them...

"Here is the point of everything I have been trying to tell you, Oskar.
It's always necessary.
I love you,
Grandma" (page 314).

In addition to this, Thomas Schell Sr. has finally found a place to put the letters he wrote his son everyday but was not able to send...

"I have been seeing Oskar, he wrote...I was with him last night.  That's where I was.  I buried the letters.
What letters?
The letters I never sent.
Buried them where?
In the ground.  That's where I was" (page 311). 

...He finally gave them to his son, in his empty coffin.

Thank you,

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment