Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Favorite Teacher Website

Hello,
     Currently my favorite teacher/teaching website is Khan Academy for two reasons, with the first being the dedication and passion of Salman Khan, the website's creator, and the other is the website itself. 
     Salman Khan is the creator of this web resource and initially began it to help teach his daughter mathematics but it has branched out into so much more since then.  However, he still does not take a profit from the website and has all of the videos free for the world to watch and learn.  I think this is amazing because in a world where money and greed often seem like the driving force, there is at least one person who cares enough about learning to spread education for free.
     Secondly, this website is a fantastic resource for teachers.  For example, I have recently been tutoring my significant other in the subject of finite mathematics.  We recently began to cover the concept of matrices and in order to break down this concept and place it in more visual and easy to understand terms, I used a Khan Academy video to supplement what I was teaching him.  Not only did this video refresh my memory, it also helped my significant other have a greater understanding of how to complete his take home assignment.
     Overall, this website is a wonderful tool to supplement teaching, but not to replace it.  I would highly recommend it as a resource to refresh memories and to help those who may be struggling with a concept, especially mathematics concepts. 
     Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I hope you find Khan Academy as helpful as I have.
     Thank you,
     Olivia

www.khanacademy.org

No comments:

Post a Comment