Friday, November 22, 2013

80 Hours Practicum - Day Eleven

Today is my official last day of my 80 hour practicum.  It is going to be strange not seeing their 1st grade faces every Friday anymore.  They are a bit rowdy sometimes but I have grown to care about them and will miss them.

Today, my cooperating teacher and I are doing more lessons on the fly than normal due to it being conference week and students being a bit rowdier.  It is a nice confidence boost that my cooperating teacher trusts me enough to plan parts of the lesson on the fly.  I also will learn how to complete this skill through practicing it in the classroom.  It is a great skill to have because your day does not always go as planned and the ability to think and teach on the fly is crucial in those moments.

The book I read today was called Yoko writes her name by Rosemary Wells.  I had never heard of this book before but it was fun to read to the class because it is about an ELL student who speaks and writes Japanese.  The students were very interested in how they write right to left instead of left to right and how their number representation symbols are different.  The reason I found this particular book fun to read is because I can speak a decent amount of Japanese, as I took four years of it in high school.  I wish I had more time to teach a lesson on Japanese numbers and using those numbers to do math problems.  I think that would be really fun.

My cooperating teacher gave me her evaluations today and I am pleased to say that I scored well.  She mentioned all the reflecting, practicing, and growth I have made in my time inside and outside of her classroom.  She also mentioned that I did everything she asked of me and more and took initiative in many things.  This feedback makes me feel confident and good about my time in the classroom.  I am very grateful to her, her students, and the school for being willing to take me in for this 80 hour practicum.  I learned more than I can say in a post and will transfer these skills into my student teaching next semester and teaching overall.

Thank you,

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment