Friday, November 15, 2013

80 Hour Practicum - Day Ten

        Today was a think on your feet day for both myself and my cooperating teacher.  She has had such a hectic week with students who have been a bit over the top while also trying to get ready for conferences.  On my end, my week got a bit out of control and I was not as prepared for my lessons as I wanted to be.  I ended up being later than normal to the school but my cooperating teacher was super understanding because she was having a similar type of week.
        Due to both of our weeks being hectic, we ended up tweaking the math lesson a half hour before I taught it as well as completely changing the writer's workshop lesson we had originally planned.  I was grateful for both of these changes because it helped my cooperating teacher be on the same page and helped me fine tune skills of thinking on the fly and last minute planning.  Plus, I was able to see how a veteran teacher handles last minute planning and hectic week stress.
        Overall, my cooperating teacher said that I did well at handling hectic classroom management and at teaching last minute lessons.  She even suggested that we play the day by ear next Friday, which I think demonstrates the trust she has in my skills.  The one work-on piece of feedback she gave me was to try not to say, "so" so much because I often use it at the beginning of sentences when teaching.  I was not aware that I did that so it was nice to receive the feedback and know what to work on.
She also said that she can tell I am starting to have more fun reading books to the students and that I am a hard worker.  I really appreciate that my actions convey how much of a hard worker I am.  She said that she knows I will succeed at whatever I do because I will do what I need to and work hard to succeed at it.  This was wonderful feedback to hear.
        Overall, today was a hectic but good day.  I will have my last day next Friday but I am also going in next Thursday night to get a feel and understanding of conferences and an overview of communication with parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment