Friday, November 8, 2013

80 Hour Practicum - Day Nine

Today I got to teach all but writer's workshop and small group guided reading/daily 5 time.  Next week, I get to teach the entire day.  I am really excited that my teacher trusts me enough and that I have built enough confidence to be able to teach the entire school day.

One of the items we added today was leading a reading assessment on a big book called, Luisa's Lab.  The book was about the physical changes of water between a solid, liquid, and a gas.  I read the book to the class again right before we took the assessment as a nice review of the material.  Then students were dismissed and got privacy folders, pencils, and a test packet to get ready to take the assessment. 

Overall, I think leading the assessment went well.  The assessment was a bit longer than the normal assessments the students are used to so they began a little antsy towards the end.  (once the test was over, we took a playground break to get out the extra energy).  The assessment had a number of different question formats and I think I did a fairly good job at explaining the directions so students would understand them. 

In addition to the normal routine, today was also the first student birthday of the school year (later than usual, my cooperating teacher said).  He turned 7 today and brought in cupcakes to share during snack time.  He also got to share one present he got at home and my cooperating teacher gave him a birthday hat, bracelet, card, and pencil.  

I also got to read a 1st grade version of a national geographic magazine with the students.  We would take turns volunteering to read.  This particular time was challenging because students were hardly pay attention and even through I tried many different strategies to classroom manage, they would not focus for more than 30 seconds.  It was both frustrating and a large learning moment for me.  

Overall, student behavior was really challenging today.  My cooperating teacher mentioned that even the students who do not usually misbehave have been misbehaving this week.  She made that comment that she almost thinks a storm is coming because of the way they are behaving.  


No comments:

Post a Comment